Schmidt’s Bergamot & Lime Natural Deodorant
“Neutralises odour and absorbs wetness. No aluminum. No proplene glycol. No artificial fragrance.”
This product is mentioned quite highly within the vegan and natural beauty community because it is vegan, cruelty free, and has fully natural ingredients. Admittedly, when I first saw the name of this product I immediately thought of New Girl and the insanely humorous character Schmidt. I had to laugh to myself for that one. I also misjudged this product at first as it has very similar packaging to the first ever natural deodorant that I tried and really did not like: read about that here. However, all judgements aside, I took the plunge and bought this stuff for £10.00 on Naturisimo. The rest is history, and honestly, my life will never be the same again. In my opinion, this deodorant is the best natural deodorant that I have ever tried. I will even go as far as to say that it is the best deodorant I have tried EVER including toxin loaded conventional cheap stuff. So there we have it, you can keep odour at bay in a healthy way. Keep reading for the full review.
This deodorant is naturally scented with both Bergamot and Lime essential oils and doesn’t include any artificial fragrances. I love that about this product. Especially considering synthetic scents have been said to cause allergic reactions, cancer, nervous system problems and are suspected endocrine disruptors. I have also found fragrances cause irritation especially on the fragile underarm skin. This naturally scented product smells so fresh and stays fresh all day. I find it a perfect smell for a deodorant, but the brand do offer a range of other scents too.
Ingredients & Texture
It brings me so much joy to know, or have heard of, every single ingredient written on the back of a product. This ingredients listed for this one include: Arrowroot Powder, Coconut Oil, Candelilla Wax, Shea Butter, Baking Soda, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Bergamot Essential Oil, Lime Essential Oil, Vitamin E sunflower derived.
The texture of this product is very gritty which is likely due to the baking soda. Some people, especially those with sensitive skin, can be allergic to baking soda so make sure you check this before purchasing. I am personally not allergic. However, I do find the gritty texture quite rough when the product is cold. The instructions recommend holding the product momentarily to skin to soften on contact with body heat.
Does it really work?
This natural deodorant claims to neutralise odour and absorb wetness and I would 100% agree. This is hands down the best natural deodorant that I have ever used. In fact, I would say it’s the best deodorant I have used ever. Bold claim. I would say that this product lasts on my armpits for around 6 hours, and I even used it in 80% humidity whilst in Ghana and it lasted amazingly. I didn’t have any unfortunate body odour smells creep up on me at any point either. As for absorbing wetness, I also agree. I didn’t suffer any damp armpits like I have with other natural deodorants and this product isn’t an unhealthy antiperspirant either; the ingredients just somehow work!
Why I love it
- The ingredients are all natural and I know what each of them are..
- The scent is very clean and fresh; perfect for a deodorant.
- Schmidt’s is vegan and cruelty free.
- The product isn’t slippery when applied and is gritty from the baking soda.
- It doesn’t rub off too much onto clothes.
- Doesn’t need to be reapplied regularly.
- It is affordable compared to other natural deodorants. This one is definitely worth the money in my opinion.
- I don’t suffer unbearably wet armpits when I use this product.
- It is easy to wash off which is such a bonus for me. I have found over the years that strong conventional deodorants can be a nightmare to remove.
- The stick application of this product makes it easy to apply compared to Black Chicken Remedies pot deodorant.
- The packaging is light weight and easy to travel with.
- The product is very easy to buy online in the UK. I bought mine from Naturisimo which is an online hub of all the natural necessities. And, the website has free delivery: winning.
- The product can be drying on the skin. This is possibly due to the baking soda.
- Some people are allergic to bicarbonate soda.
- The texture is quite scratchy when the product is cold.
- It is more expensive than conventional deodorants.
I highly recommend this product. If you aren’t already aware, conventional beauty products including deodorants are filled with disease causing chemicals. The armpits are one of the fastest absorbing areas of the body and are very close to the breasts, so it is very important to switch to a natural deodorant; even if you don’t switch anything else. Apart from the cost factor, there isn’t an other reason not to switch. Many people presume that natural deodorants won’t work as well as what they’re used to and in some cases this is true. If you’ve been following my journey, you will know that finding the one for you is trial and error. Everybody’s body is different so everyone has different requirements. But if you suffer from being quite sweaty, this Schmidt’s option will be great for you. One thing I have also noticed since using natural deodorant is that I sweat a lot less now. My body has got used to not being chemically loaded and has adjusted. This is also likely to be due to a vegan diet.
If you have tried this product, please let me know your thoughts!