I have tried many different lentil dahl recipes as a dahl can be altered in many ways. Lentils are extremely versatile to say the least and this is such a warming and filling dish. It was the first proper recipe that I mastered since becoming vegan so I wanted to share this with you.
- 1 Medium Onion
- 200g Red Lentils
- 200g Tinned Tomatoes
- 3-4 Cups Water
- Curry Powder
- Chilli Powder
- Chilli Flakes
Extra: Brown Rice and Choice of Vegetables for the side.
- Soak the lentils in water for 45-60 minutes prior to making the dahl
- Turn the dial on the hob ¾ or up to a medium heat.
- Chop up onion and add to a large pan or Wok with water to stop the onions from sticking to the pan.
- Cook the onions until they are soft
- Add in some curry powder, cumin, and chilli into the pan to cook the spices as this adds to the flavour
- Add in the soaked lentils and stir together
- Then add in the tin of chopped tomatoes and stir again
- The mixture will need liquid at this point so add in 1 or 2 cups of water, more if desired
- Now you can add the rest of the herbs and spices, the amount of this is to preference
- Turn down the heat and leave to simmer
- More water and spices can be added gradually as the lentils cook
- The dahl is finished when the lentils are soft and have absorbed enough of the water to desired consistency
- Serve with choice of rice and vegetables for additional health